18 de fevereiro de 2014

Street Food in Korea


South Korea sure has many advantages when it comes to ordering food considering the great food delivery system (Oh hey McDonalds !). But for those willing to have food anywhere, anytime, whenever they realize how hungry they are (배고파~~~), a large variety of cheap snacks and quick bites can be found around here. As most of them are actually particularly delicious, I’ve decided to post a few street food pictures with a brief explanation of each one of them, in some kind of attempt to at least properly introduced the most common choices around here.

Kimbap Probably one of the most common street food that may equally be found in  restaurants. Kimbap are basically rice rolls stuffed with cucumber, carrot and radish, and wrapped in seaweed with a bit of roasted sesame oil. There are many variants according to what one decides to have in it (vegetables, egg, beef, tuna, kimchi...). After picking your own preferences, just roll it in aluminum paper and it’s ready to go !
Odeng First time I had this one was in a soup in a restaurant. To be honest, back then I had no idea what I was eating. It is actually what is usually called boiled fish cake on a stick. Extremely famous as well (especially during winter season), we can have the the fish cake and have a cup of the broth while eating it or at the end. I’ve grown tired of this one and I’m not really having it anymore. Fish cake is also a usual ingredient in a wide variety of dishes or simply served as a seasoned side dish.
Tteokbokki Spicy Rice cake noodles with fish cake are common wherever I go, specially in winter season. The sauce is a bit sweet and spicy, as many variations and toppings can be found. Boiled eggs, beef or seafood can also be served together.

Dakkocchi Juicy chicken skewers grilled and basted with different sauces. I’ve tried the Barbecue sauce (yes, I’m such a loser…), but usually Koreans go for something spicier. From soft-spicy to “Boom!”, you may find different levels of spicy. Just call an ambulance in advance if you're willing to go for the latter.
Dak ddong jib (닭똥집) Chicken Gizzard. Yes, that's it.
Dakbal How I hated seeing people sucking on this back at home... It is nothing less then chicken feet, and it is apparently particularly sinewy and chewy.

Sundae McDonalds ? Ice Cream ?! Not really... Sundae is actually boiled (or steamed) intestine sausage stuffed with rice / sweet potato noodles and blood. A variation may be found with the intestine sausage being stuffed with seafood such as squid or dried pollock.

Grilled Octupus Well, nothing much to say on this one. The octopus is dried first and then crisped over a hot grill.
Takoyaki This one is in fact a Japanese snack that I often find in South Korea as well. A ball-shaped snack made of a wheat flour-based batter and cooked in a special takoyaki pan, typically filled with a bit of diced octopus, tempura scraps, pickled ginger and green onion.
Bundaeggi It was New Year’s Eve, we were near City Hall in Daejeon and of a sudden I felt a hideous smell in the air. One of the girls was particularly disgusted by the smell, but I curiously approached the adjuma that was selling it, to see what it was. Beans maybe? Hm, no... It is actually boiled silkworm larva served in a cup with some soy sauce and sugar. Bundaeggi is in fact a nostalgic snack that has somehow remained popular among the younger generations. I’ve founded it in restaurants as well (although it is not common I might say) served as a side dish. I still hold my breath whenever I see someone selling it... so I highly doubt that one day I’ll be trying this one.
Bongeobbang It took me a few weeks to realize this one didn’t have a fish-flavor. Actually it is not even fish-related. It is a fish shaped bread but stuffed with… red bean paste. They are extremely cheap, and first time we got a full bag of them for 2 euros. Same day, I found a variation with some sweet cream on it as well, even though I’m not sure it is common.
Gul Tare I’ve seen this one in Jeonju for the first time. The guy made it right in front of me, as he kept turning and turning a block of fermented honey into… 16,000 strings. Then it can be stuffed with crushed peanuts, walnut, almond or chocolate.
Hotteok This one is a variety of a sweet dessert. A fried filled Korean pancake enveloping a powdery mixture of brown sugar, cinnamon and occasionally nuts. Usually eaten during the winter season, two variations may be found. The unhealthy one (picture below) is fried in a pool of oil, flipped till it is completely cooked and the powdery mixture inside has melted. The second one is prepared in something like a rotating waffle iron, making it definitely less oily. I had my first one in Jeonju as well. Needless to say, it IS quite good !
Sool ddeok (술떡Rice wine cake typically served during the summer, as the sweet and sour taste is believed to be refreshing in hot weather.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário